Friday, February 18, 2011

Easiest Apple Pie







This is my go-to recipe for apple pie.  My Grandmother made the best pie and one day she dictated her un-written recipe to me over the phone.  I was surprised to find that I could make a pie to equal hers. 

Warning: I don't make my own pie dough. {Pie purists are gasping in horror!}  If that turns you off, please feel free to make your own.  My sister swears by Martha Stewart's Pate Brisee.  When you're done with that, come on back.  

I, on the other hand, absolutely love the Pillsbury pre-made pie crusts you simply unroll into the pie plate. No dirty food processor, no dusting of flour coating my work surface.  I even had one professed apple pie-loving man declare this was the best one he had ever had. That sealed the deal for me to release my former pie-crust-guilt.   My oldest son wants this pie as his birthday dessert instead of cake!  

INGREDIENTS
1 box Pillsbury pie crusts, removed from box and let come to room temperature while preparing apples
6 large Granny Smith apples
2 smaller apples of a different type, I like McIntosh, Gala or Braeburn
2 Tbsp. flour
1/2 cup sugar, divided plus more for sprinkling on top
1 1/2 Tbsp. butter
1/2 tsp.cinnamon
dash nutmeg
pinch salt 
2 Tbsp. cream, half and half or milk

PROCESS
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Place large sheet pan in oven to preheat as well.
Wash, peel, core and slice apples.  Unroll one crust into bottom of pie plate.  I do not use a deep-dish pie pan.  If yours is deep-dish you need to roll the crust out to a slightly larger size.
Into the crust put flour and 1/4 cup sugar.  Mix together with fingers and distribute evenly over crust.
Pour in all sliced apples.  No need for arranging.  Sprinkle with cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Top with another 1/4 cup sugar.   Dot with butter.  
Using a pastry brush or your fingertips, rub cream around the rim of the bottom pie crust.
Cover with the second pie crust and crimp edges well.
Brush top of pie crust with cream.  Sprinkle all over with sugar.  Cut 4-5 vents.
Place onto pre-heated sheet pan.  
Bake at 400 for 10 minutes.
Lower temp to 375 and continue baking for 50 minutes.  Pie will be lightly browned and juices should be bubbling. 

Enjoy!



6 comments:

  1. Delicious! Easy! Perfect way to mess with my adrenal gland! HA HA! Lifetime Nutrition Plan or not, I WILL be making this sooooon!! H2U

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe this must be exquisite :) My recipe for apple pie is quite similar, so I can imagine how tasty yours is :) However, making your own pastry isn't difficult at all and once you try it, you don't want any other - just give it a try once or twice :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum~ Your photos are just beautiful! I swear by MS pate brisee, along with your sister. Either way, this pie looks awesome! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pretty looking pie!!

    A simple classic Apple Pie is the best!

    Wanted to invite you to share this recipe at my weekly event- Seasonal Sundays as it fits the theme perfectly! (http://realsustenance.com/)

    Happy Sunday!
    -Brittany-

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is lovely, apple pie is always a win. thanks for sharing, glad to have found your blog!
    -meg
    @ http://www.clutzycooking.blogspot.com
    @ http://www.myscribblednotebook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I have never made apple pie at home, but I love it! Thanks for sharing your grandma recipe! Family recipes are the best! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I savor your comments and links!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...