Thursday, August 11, 2011

Easy Fat Free Refried Beans

My dear neighbor, who dearly needs our prayers for health right now, once told me that she makes a big pot of pinto beans every week.  She, a breast cancer survivor, eats those beans all week long as a great source of fiber.  In her honor, I dug out this recipe I have had in my recipe file for ten years but had never gotten around to making.  They were so delicious and effortless that I may have a new monthly money-saving side dish for our family. 
   
These beans not only make a great side dish, they are great as a filling for burritos or on top of chips for bean nachos. 


INGREDIENTS
1 pound dried pinto beans, rinsed and drained
4 cloves of garlic, peeled but left whole
3 tsp. salt

PROCESS
1.  Put beans, garlic and salt in a large stock pot.  
2.  Cover with 2 quarts of water.
3.  Bring to a boil.
4.  Reduce heat, cover and simmer on medium-low for 2 hours.
5.  Mash beans and garlic recover and simmer for another 30 minutes, stirring and mashing now and then until softened and to your desired consistency.
   

  
Miz Helen’s Country Cottage

7 comments:

  1. These look great and so much healthier than the canned kind. Hope you are having a great summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi! This looks amazing! I would love for you to come over and link up to my Tasty Tuesday Party...
    http://nap-timecreations.blogspot.com/
    Hope to see you and your tasty goodness next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Misty,
    I am making this comment with tears rolling down my checks. I am now by the grace of God, a 13 year breast cancer survivor. I eat my pinto beans every week. Your recipe is awesome and I am saying a prayer for your friend. Hope you are having a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday!
    See you soon,
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds easy...and healthy. Thank you for sharing the recipe AND the story behind them, of your dear friend.

    So glad you linked to Food on Fridays this week.

    annkroeker.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fat-free, and low fat food at grocery stores with nutritional facts at http://healthygrocery.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. UC Browser boasts a great deal of functions to find up with an improved internet surfing experience and smooth navigating. It also includes the so-called Facebook Mode, specifically made for Facebook customers, and Night Mode, a type of the prominent dark setting that is extremely usual to several apps and websites, recently. UC Browser App 2019

    ReplyDelete

I savor your comments and links!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...